Thread Safe To Throw And Catch Shared Exceptions?

Jan 25, 2010

so i have a Method that is going to made Thread Safe. can i have something like this in the Method:

Public Class Q Private Shared ASD As New MyException("") Public Sub W Throw ASD if multiple threads attempt to throw the Shared exception ASD, will there be an error in the catching part? The alternative of course is to: Throw New ASD but i'm just checking to see if the first way is thread safe

View 4 Replies

ADVERTISEMENT

Asp.net - Accessing Httpcontext In Shared Function Thread Safe?

Jan 5, 2012

Im having a problem understanding if accessing httpcontext inside a shared function, without passing in the httpcontext as a parameter is thread safe?

Are the 2 functions in the util class equally thread safe?

Class foo
Sub main()
Dim qs1 = util.getQS(HttpContext.Current)

[Code]....

View 2 Replies

Exceptions - Can The "Throw" Statement Exist In A Block With No Try/catch Statement

Oct 5, 2009

how to use them then before, but am still a little confused with a few aspects. Here goes:

1.) Lets say you have a method that checks for a certain condition(s) and if it fails Throws an exception. Does it have to be in a try/catch block? Meaning can the "Throw" statement exist in a block with no try/catch statement?

2.) Now lets say we have a method that has a try catch block and in it there is a throw statement. When the throw statement is executed does it first try to find an appropriate catch block in the same method or does it immediately go back to the calling method without looking at the catch statements in the current method where the exception was thrown?

3.) I created a custom exception class that inherits from ApplicationException. Next I created a method which has a catch block that catches this type of exception and does some action. Is the System(i.e CLR) smart enough to throw an exception of this type, or does it only throw exceptions from SystemException?

4.) I know that some people are more liberal in their use of exceptions and others use it more sparingly when truly strange stuff happen like the DB going down. I am writing code where I am getting some info back from the database, converting it and then storing it. Sometimes there might be data that comes back from the database and other times the field is empty and the Null value comes back. Therefore in the instances where Null comes back from the database I should not convert the value to anything, since I will get an error. What should I do in this situation? Should I let the CLR throw the exception when it goes to convert the Null value or should I check for the Null value and if it exists not convert?

5.) In general when I throw exceptions, is it sensible to only throw exceptions of the type Application Exception or are there instances where the programmer throws exceptions of the type SystemException?

View 2 Replies

If Throw An Exception From Within A Catch, Does The Finally (from The Catch) Still Execute

Jun 2, 2009

If I throw an exception from within a catch, does the finally (from the catch) still execute? i.e.

Try
..some code with an exception in it...
catch ex as Exception
throw new SpecialException("blah blah" & ex.Message, ex)

[code]....

View 6 Replies

Catch Log4net Exceptions / Use Try / Catch Approach

Jan 23, 2012

I need to catch log4net exceptions (its own exceptions not app exceptions logged by it). I wish there's a way of doing it this way: [code] I have this code implemented and there's no errors in compilation but i force log4net to have an error (pointing to a non existing database in the config file) and nothing is threw.I've tried the listener aproach: [code] and it's writing the errors to log4net.txt, the forced ones i mean.This last aproach has a couple of drawbacks: it won't append every error to the file, if the error is the same it doesn't write it, i can't get the listener to write every error to that file, only one (I don't know how to fully configure the trace listener, it might be that). Thus it won't append the date and hour to every line wich is a necesity for me. Finally i can't give structure to it (xml). Even if the listener work i need to use the try/catch aproach, since i'm using ExceptionHandling from Enterprise library to log the errors in my app.

View 1 Replies

How To Throw Custom Exceptions

Sep 24, 2011

I am catching sql exception from databse as shown below.[code]Now I want to throw exception by adding some userfiendly information,Like below.Throw SQLexception + "my message.....".

View 8 Replies

Way To Throw Multiple Exceptions

Dec 26, 2009

Is there a way to throw multiple exceptions?

i tried to throw an exception in the Finally block but somehow the exception in the Finally block overrides the first exception that i wanted to throw

View 12 Replies

C# - Does The CLR Garbage Collection Methodology Mean It's Safe To Throw Circular Object References Around

Feb 3, 2010

I have a theory that the CLR garbage collection mechanism means that I can get away with circular references in my object hierarchy without creating deadlocks for teardown and garbage collection. Is this a safe assumption to make? (Target language VB.NET)

View 2 Replies

Throw System.Exceptions From Within Custom Classes To Calling Code

Jul 9, 2010

I Have just been watching a video on throwing Exceptions. Are you supposed to throw System.Exceptions from within your custom classes. to the calling code, Which other way can they communicate. I have read in several places it is bad practice to throw SystemExeptions.

View 3 Replies

Catch / Handle And Then Again Throw Exception?

Jun 26, 2009

I ran into an interesting dilemna today. I have a function that handles information and checks for duplicate values, then returns the next number that is not a duplicate. So, I have something like this:

Public Function GetNextNonDuplicateNumber(NumberToCheck as Long) as Long
//the non-duplicate the function will return
Dim NonDuplicate as Long
'duplicate
If CheckForDuplicate(NumberToCheck) = True Then
Throw New DuplicateException()
[Code] .....

As you can see, I want to handle the exception specifically, but I also want to throw it when I'm done because I want to alert other code outside the function. The problem is that simply throwing it exits out of the function with a null value.

View 2 Replies

Uses Of Try Catch For Exceptions?

Jun 10, 2009

When you use Try Catch for Exceptions, will
Catch ex As Exception
Catch any possible error that could occur or do you have to catch each exception separately?

View 2 Replies

Way To Catch These Exceptions

Feb 4, 2011

Is there a way to catch these Exceptions? (I am not looking for "just put try/catch or on error goto around them"). I am trying to find out if these errors can be caught by something outside of them.[code]...

View 1 Replies

Catch All SQL Exceptions In A Project?

Aug 17, 2010

Is there a way to catch all SQL exceptions in a project? I have several gridviews and multiple sqldatasources and most of the errors are going to occur when a user enters something incorrectly or in the wrong column. So how do I stop the Server Error in /Project page from showing up?

View 3 Replies

Try / Catch Not Trapping Exceptions

Mar 25, 2011

I am working on an app that uses a third-party charting component.It is a .Net component. There have been some occasions when exceptions have occurred inside the third-party component code, but my try/catch is not trapping them.Should they get trapped?My code is structured roughly like this:[code]I have since found and fixed what was causing the exceptions, but I would have thought that this should trap them. What happens when I run in the IDE is that it crashes and Visual Studio throws up a page telling me there is no code available to debug, and no disassembly available.Fair enough, but I repeat - why doesn't the exception get trapped?

View 4 Replies

Catch Exceptions In Finally Block?

Oct 13, 2010

Is there some special way to catch exceptions in finally block ?

View 2 Replies

How To Catch Unhandled Exceptions In Custom Controls

Jan 5, 2012

Is there anything similar to the MyApplication_UnhandledException for an user control in VB?
I would like to have a central point where to catch all unhandled exceptions of a user control, without propagating the exception to the application that uses the user control. I made some test raising an exception in a method of my user control where there is no try/catch code (of course in the true project all methods have a try/catch block). The exception was caught by MyApplication_UnhandledException event of the application using the user control. But this is too "far" from the point where the exception happens and in worst case the user should restart the application.

I would like to realize a behaviour for the user control in order that if the user control fails, the exception is not propagated till the application, but just caught at user control level.

View 2 Replies

Trap Any Exceptions With Try Catch Finally If The Reader?

Apr 8, 2011

I have a SqlDataReader and I want to trap any exceptions with Try Catch Finally if the reader =cmd.ExecuteReader() statement fails. If this statement throws an exception do I need to close the reader? If so, where. Wherever I place the reader.close() statement I get an error that the reader has not been assigned a value yet.

View 2 Replies

Try/Catch - "Don't Catch Exceptions That You're Not Willing To Deal With"

Apr 20, 2010

A few weeks back in reply to a thread, I said then that it's sometimes worse to use a Try/Catch when there's nothing in the Catch!There are exceptions to that I'm sure, but too often the Try/Catch is used with a blank Catch that makes even the developer scratch their heads when the program crashes because they have nothing to go on (by their own doing).DevExpress (and I'm a big fan of their stuff) has a little three minute video that encapsulates that concept well and I thought that you all might enjoy watching it:[URL]

View 1 Replies

Catch Exceptions Without Defining A Local Exception Variable?

Apr 6, 2011

[Code]...

Notice the catch (Type) instead of catch (Type myVariable). Is this possible with VB.NET, or do you always have to declare a variable when you catch exception types, like so:

[Code]...

View 1 Replies

ShowDialog Throw Thread Exception

Feb 18, 2011

I have written a VB.NET 2.0 code and in my code i am calling class.Showdialog and for that i am getting thread exception. I have mentioned the call stack of the exception. Can any one help me out to resolve this issue. [code]

View 5 Replies

Catch All Un-handled Exceptions In A .net Assembly (library Type, Not Application)?

Apr 2, 2011

I have an assembly containing a number of classes. This is a class library type assembly, not a windows forms application. It's also single threaded.Is there a way to catch all un-handled exceptions so that I can log them?

View 2 Replies

Is Try / Catch / Finally Required With Using Statement In Order To Handle Exceptions

Jan 31, 2012

I wonder how to use statement handles exceptions?Do I need to wrap the using statements with a Try/Cath/Finally clause in order to be sure that the SqlConnection object is closed and disposed even if the containing code throws an exception? [code]

View 3 Replies

Possible In .Net To Catch All Unhandled Exceptions From Any Method In A Class Before Its Passed Up The Call Stack?

Oct 19, 2011

I would like to catch any exceptions from any method in a class so that I may record class specific data to the exception for logging before it is passed up the stack. I know that I can put a try-catch in every method of the class, but there are many methods and It seems there should be a more efficient way. Example of what I am currently doing:

public class ClassA
{
private int x;

[code].....

View 2 Replies

VS 2010 C++ Dll Is Not Thread Safe?

Apr 19, 2012

I'm calling a c++ dll I made myself - and it appears to be very VERY not thread safe!

I'm referencing it like this

<System.Runtime.InteropServices.DllImport("D:ACS DesktopdcxdcxDebugStringLibrary.dll", EntryPoint:="firstIndexOfKeyword", CallingConvention:=Runtime.InteropServices.CallingConvention.Cdecl)> _
Public Shared Function firstIndexOfKeyword(ByVal s As String, ByVal substr As String(), ByVal substrLength As Integer, ByVal markers As Integer()) As Integer End Function

Is there a way to make this IMPORT create something more threadsafe?

[Code]...

View 10 Replies

VS 2010 Seems Like This Is Not Thread Safe

Feb 27, 2012

I'm dropping into this function - from several threads - to add an OBJECT to a dictionary collection

Private Delegate Function ReaderRegisterDelegate(ByRef rrFSOb As FSObject) As FSObject
Private Function ReaderRegister(ByRef rrFSOb As FSObject) As FSObject
Try[code].....

It's getting Object reference not set to an instance of an object.The FILEID key being added is F1. F2, F3 and F4 are in the dictionary. Seems like F1 arrived and the object wasn't properly setup. Or thread-slice caused me to see a partially messed with dictionary list?How can I make that a thread safe operation? I thought dropping out to the UI thread was a safe place to mess with code like this? Oddly enough I can go to the immediate window and do this

m_FSObCollection.Add("F" + rrFSOb.FileId.ToString, rrFSOb)
?m_FSObCollection.Count 4

ex.data is a dictionary list that looks like this

directcast(ex.Data , System.Collections.IDictionary).Count 0

View 6 Replies

.net - Is The Enqueue Method Thread Safe

Nov 2, 2009

Let's say that I have a module that has a Queue in it. For other entities to Enqueue, they must go through a function:

[Code]....

If I have multiple threads running and they want to call InsertIntoQueue(), is this considered thread safe? I am under the impression that there is only one copy of the instructions in memory necessary to perform the InsertIntoQueue() function... which would lead me to think that this is thread safe. However, I wonder what happens when two threads attempt to run the function at the same time? Is this thread safe, and if not, how can I make it thread safe? (and What would be the performance implications regarding speed and memory usage)

View 6 Replies

Thread-safe Text Box Update

Jul 26, 2011

I have a TCP server app that starts 2 threads when the server is activated, I want the threads to add text to the textbox on the main form. Here's is what I have tried [code]I have added MsgBoxes at points so I know the Sub updatetext_ is being called, and the text is being passed, they are also showing that InvokeRequired is always FALSE. In any case the textbox txtMessages is not being updated.

View 11 Replies

VS 2008 List (Of T) Is Thread Safe?

Sep 5, 2009

On the MSDN docs for the generic List(Of T) class, it says this:

Quote:

Public static (Shared in Visual Basic) members of this type are thread safe. Any instance members are not guaranteed to be thread safe.but I'm trying to work out what exactly that means or why it matters. Does that mean that if I had this:

vb.net
Public Shared MyList As New List(Of MyClass)

then I could enumerate through that list from several threads at once without there being a problem? I thought you could read from any object from multiple threads without a problem anyway... I thought it was only if there were potentially other threads modifying that object at the same time that there were problems. Particularly with a collection like a List because you cant modify a list while another thread is enumerating the items in the list as you get an exception thrown stating that the collection has changed. I think basically what I am asking is if the MSDN doc said that a public shared list wasnt thread safe then what difference would it make?

View 5 Replies

.net Thread Safe Method To Add A Listview Subitem?

Feb 21, 2011

I am trying to add a subitem to a listview in a threadsafe manner.In a single threaded application it works like so:

[Code]...

However if run in another thread it causes a cross threading error.I have looked at examples of delegate subs that use Invoke, but all examples i have seen involve updating the text property of an object, and i cant get my head round how to apply the concept to actually add a subitem to a listview.

View 3 Replies

C# :: FIFO / QUEUE With Buffer And Thread-safe?

Jun 19, 2011

I'm receiving tons of statistics data that I need to insert into the db.I would like to implement some kind of Queue or FIFO class that keeps all the dataand when it reaches to a specific count (buffer), it will send that data to the SQL through bulk insert. This should be thread-safe.

View 3 Replies

Copyrights 2005-15 www.BigResource.com, All rights reserved